Why Paper Straws
Nature-Friendly Paper Drinking Straws Canada
EVERY PLASTIC STRAW EVER USED STILL EXISTS ON THIS PLANET
Eco-Friendly & Biodegradable Paper Drinking Straws in Canada & United States
This chilling fact and the concern about the impact plastic pollution may be having on the environment is heralding a change in consumer attitudes.
- Americans use 500 million plastic straws daily, enough straws to circle the Earth 2.5 times
- Canada uses 57 million plastic straws daily
- Plastic pollution in the ocean is a global concern; concentrations reach 580,000 pieces per km2 and production is increasing exponentially.
- Plastics do not Biodegrade and never fully degrade
- Millions of turtles, seabirds, and other wildlife die each year from complications directly related to plastic consumption. It’s estimated that as many as 70% of seabirds and 30% of turtles have ingested some type of plastic from the ocean.
- Plastic straws may be harmful to the human body as well. Polypropylene can leach into liquids and release compounds that affect estrogen levels, especially when exposed to heat, acidic beverages or UV light.
A Sea of change has begun
- Starbucks plans to phase out plastic straws by 2020
- McDonald’s recently announced it will ban plastic straws at its U.K. and Ireland restaurants
- In 2018, several U.S. states banned the usage of plastic straws in Similar steps have been taken in parts of India and in South Africa, Thailand and Costa Rica. There is momentum behind this movement and the list is growing weekly.